There are two different options for building slides in signage.chapman.edu. The first is through the slide template builder which is essentially a form that automatically styles and builds your slide for you. The second is by creating a full image background design. Below explains some of the rules and tips for making a successfully-designed slide.
Steps to designing a full image background design
- Since this process requires a designed image, you are going to need to be proficient in design or layout software like Photoshop. You can request through IS&T if you are a Chapman staff member.
- Slide dimension is 1920 x 1080 px. Your slide needs to be exactly this dimension to be uploaded in signage.chapman.edu.
- When designing, follow these design rules:
- Slide Size and Red Bar Accommodation – Build your design to 1920 x 1080 px to accommodate the red brand bar that exists on all screens.
- Headlines – Keep your headline short, direct, action oriented and singularly-focused
- (ex. “Join Us Wednesday for Spring Sizzle in Attallah Piazza!”)
- Supplementary information – Keep the content short. You want to make sure you are providing all the important information in as little words as possible. People are reading these slides as they walk by.
- (ex “Chapman celebrates the spring with food, games, and music in the sun on September 15 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. All Chapman Family members are welcome!”)
- Images – For imagery make sure it is:
- Impactful and relevant – images should support the headline and general content and get people to look
- Tasteful – since these are displayed on public screens, please be mindful of the mixed audiences
- Clear – make sure your image is high enough quality to show on the screens as not blurry
- Branded – As best you can, follow Chapman’s brand rules to make sure we are looking consistent. This includes using proper reds, fonts, etc.
- Chapman Logo – please do not include the Chapman logo in your design. The logo already appears in the red bar that is present on all screens.
- Once you are done with your slide design, save as a .jpg. You will use the same slide template builder form in signage.chapman.edu to load your file. The only difference is that you will not be filling out any of the form design options besides loading your image in the “Image Background” space.
- Fill out all the other scheduling options on the slide builder form and submit.